Friday, June 6, 2008

Sex and the City


It nearly killed me to wait for a week, but I went to see the highly anticipated Sex and the City last night. It was just plain fun. The plot wasn't spectacular, the acting wasn't stellar, but the characters and their friendship were incredibly satisfying. And the clothes ... fabulous. Let's just say that, hands down, made the movie.

This is an event for friends. Last Thursday, a group of girls dressed up as their favorite character, hit the town for dinner and drinks, then took a limo to the midnight release. The woman who told me that story said it best: "Now that's the way to do it."

I took the low-key route, joining a girlfriend one week later, although I did stock up on plenty of candy and sodas to sneak into the theater. We sat amidst groups of women, from their 20s to 50s, a few brave husbands with their wives and a cute pair of old men at the end of our row. It may not be an Oscar-winning movie, but it brought women together to celebrate their own friendships, something that I think is incredibly important.

I plan to return again, next time with my mother and brother, two people who will appreciate the blend of friendship and fashion. Perhaps we will toast with cosmos or a new pair of shoes or just enjoy being together for one great movie.

No comments: